The days and weeks we waited for our official "kick him out of the apartment" day seemed to drag and drag. I was on my last couple months of pregnancy, work was wearing me out, and the four flights of stairs we had to climb several times a day to get to our temporary home seemed like mountains. Needless to say, we were past the point of being ready.
The day came, and we waited. Waited to hear that the Marshall posted the eviction notice on his door. Waited to get the official "its all yours". But, it didn't come. We followed up with the Marshall's office and at that point, not surprisingly, their office wasn't all that on top of things. He was backed up and the secretary couldn't give us any sort of time frame. More sobs.
Tom, bless his heart, was a lot more forgiving during this process than I was. He called Mr. Wrong and agreed to help him move out. I was not so happy with this, I didn't think he deserved any help. Tom even payed for a UHaul and some how got some of our friends to help out too. They moved a bunch of his big stuff, but didn't really make a dent in the place. He knew he was supposed to be out by the date he signed to, but he wasn't moving with any sense of urgency.
The Marshall's office finally served the eviction notice, a week and a half late. We were notified, and relieved that there would finally be an end in sight. Mr. Wrong called us the same day and said he had just received the notice, but he wouldn't be leaving until the very last day possible, which would be another five days. I smile now thinking back on that phone call. It was the first that I had heard Tom actually raise his voice to Mr. Wrong. In Tom's words, "How could you do this to us, especially after my friends and I helped you move?" I could believe it, he didn't have any problem putting a pregnant girl on the streets. We of course explained things much more dramatically to him, but in my head it seemed justified. These five extra days we had to wait would seem like nothing to anyone else, but to us, it seemed like another 5 months. It was the middle of November at that point, and we had already scheduled an appointment with the contractor.
To his word, he did finally leave, but not until the last possible minute.
And he left us with this.